- Welcoming J.M. to our group
- We made paper with Jim in the makerspace after watching a brief video with paper artists demonstrating their craft.
- Our first fire drill…they did a great job. We did a practice before the drill and F.P. gave us our quote for the day: “So, we’re doing a practice for the practice?!”
- Close observation and sketching of our hand. Due to illness, our group was small. This allowed us to do a group feedback session for each artist. These kids are developing very strong skills for their age when it comes to giving kind, specific and helpful feedback (compliments and suggestions) and also taking in feedback from others. (Habits of Empathy, Reflection and Exploration)
- Students worked in groups of three to design, make and play a game played by children during the Renaissance (Hopscotch). (Habit of Collaboration and Empathy)
- Students explored shadows with flashlights in groups of three, taking turns being the “model” while their partners used flashlights to create and merge shadows.
- At the end of the day, we hosted the Voyagers and shared our papermaking with them. We also brainstormed a list of questions you could ask your kids, to find out more about their experiences of the day. This will be a consistent practice. You might read the questions on your phone at pick-up, to aid in those car-ride conversations.
Kenneth Hahn Park: What a beautiful day we had. We visited the Japanese Garden, looking closely at the water plants and koi fish, sketching things that caught our eye. We walked up to the waterfall area, which has a beautiful view. We then moved on to Janice’s Green Valley (a large bowl) and ended at the sea creature playground. I love the community building that takes place on our field trips and appreciate how you all are careful to welcome and include everyone.
Upcoming Dates (see the sign-up page for info, to RSVP and access permission slips):
- Mon. 9/24 6:30-8:00pm Parent Workshop: Easy Assessment (will be cancelled if not enough people sign up)
- Tues. 9/25 12:30-2:30 Field Trip: Learn About the Library and Hollyglen Park
- Weds. 9/26 Pizza Lunch and Silly Hair Day
- Fri. 9/28 10:00-11:00 Collaborative Program Planning Meeting (see email sent on 9/21)
- Mon. 10/1 11:00-1:00 Field Trip: Tomás and the Library Lady (performance at Pepperdine)
- Thur. 10/4 12:45-3:00 Field Trip (grade 3 and up): International Print Museum*
- Thur. 10/4 3:30-4:45 First Robotics Co-op Meeting – this will be an important planning meeting to attend
- Thur. 10/11 3:30-4:45 First Robotics Co-op session
- Fri. 10/12 1:00-2:00 Sports and Games @Del Aire Park – look for sign up genius from Jennifer
- Fri. 10/5 no homeschool required – professional development day for DVCo teachers
- Tues. 10/9 9:30-12:30 Field Trip: Natural History Museum
- 10/11-10/15 Student-Led Conferences
*If we don’t have 25 sign ups by Weds., this field trip will be cancelled.
Pizza Lunch and Silly Hair Day: Weds., 9/26 will be our first pizza and spirit day.
- Students can come with their silliest hair and bring money (or be pre-paid), if they want, to buy pizza and lemonade at lunch time. See the DV Connect Newsletters for more info.
- Please remember that kids still need water bottles and a snack.
- You all received a Sign Up Genius invitation from FAN asking for volunteers to help run Pizza Lunch and donate Lemonade. Thank you SO much to Kathi, Sara and Jennifer B., who already signed up to help! We just need 1 more server. If you can help, sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090b4ea9a62da3f58-pizza
Collaborative Program Planning Meeting
Please RSVP at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4fa4ab28aa8-collaborative1 for our meeting on Fri., 9/28 at 10am. See the email I sent last Friday for more info.
Collaborative Co-ops (formerly known as clubs) are starting on 10/11 and 10/12. Our Robotics Co-op will meet on Thursdays, 3:30-4:45 at school and the Sports and Games Co-op will meet 1:00-2:00 at Del Aire Park. The Robotics group will explore a variety of robotics work, including the current First Robotics League, Jr. challenge. These are parent-participation events. Emails with info will be sent to those participating. Want to get in on the fun? Send me an email.
Work Journal #1 ends on Fri., 9/28 and is due to the front office (teachers no longer collect them) on Weds., 10/3 by 4pm. If you need help with your work journal, be sure to check out the Work Journal FAQs on the https://davincik8.org website, shoot me an email, or schedule office hours. Work Journal #2 is available on the same website.
Student-Led Conferences are coming up soon. You can see SLC info and expectations on the Resources page. New families, please set up an Office Hours appointment if you would like support with understanding SLCs and getting prepared.