- We continued to develop our Ambassador skills (for welcoming visitors to our class) and engage in mindfulness practice with Inner Explorer.
- We made paper in the makerspace with Jim. We will do this again on 9/19. PLEASE SEND AS MUCH JUNK MAIL AS YOU CAN ON WEDS. (matte, not glossy and remove plastic windows, please). We will recycle this paper in our papermaking. Kids can tear it into “nose-sized” pieces ahead of time. (Habit of Exploration)
- The kids are enjoying having the run of campus during lunch. There are so many options for play and the Voyagers are always kind and inclusive.
- During quiet time, we worked on ST Math. Everyone now knows their password. Please be sure to have your child log in at least a few times a week, to help them remember this series of 13 images. If your child has not been at workshops when we have done ST Math password training, please make an office hours appointment so that I can set them up to use it at home. Even if your child used ST Math last year, they need to log-in at school at get attached to a class. (Habit of Perseverance)
- During our Observational Sketching workshop, students looked closely at selected leaves and sketched both sides, focusing on features we identified. After a mini-lesson on providing and responding to feedback (that is always kind, helpful and specific), students worked with a partner and exchanged both warm feedback (compliments) and cool feedback (suggestions). After the feedback session, they created a second draft of their sketches. Staff members visited during the second studio time and interacted with students about their use of feedback and reflection. (Habits of Exploration, Reflection, Empathy and Collaboration)
- Students worked with partners and used flashlights to examine how shadows change when the angle of incidence is changed. They traced the shadows and articulated their observations. (Habits of Collaboration, Exploration and Reflection)
- We went on a pattern search around campus and then looked for a pattern in knowing how many squares are in the border of a square grid. For more info, go here. (Habits of Exploration and Perseverance)
- During our All-Collaborative closing session, we shared our observational sketching work with the Voyagers. They shared their physics work with us (try dropping a small rubber ball and basketball simultaneously, with the rubber ball above the basketball…physics is fun!).
While I have Weds. in mind…a few of you have wondered if we can make the Collaborative Home Base available for your use during workshop time. We are not able to make the room available when one of us is not there but we do have ideas for you!
- The Parent Center is available for your use. If you give me a list of the resources on our shelf that you would like to use before Weds. morning, I can put them in the Parent Center for you to access. I am working on a plan to have a list of titles available. If you are unsure of titles, give me an idea of what you need and I will try to pull relevant titles for you. There are also resources for your use in the Parent Center.
- Please reference an email sent out on Sunday about Connecting Time in the Parent Center this Weds., 9:15-10:00.
- On most other days (with the exception of our field trip times), Jennifer and/or I are in the room and you are welcome to come in.
Thanks to everyone who participated in our Olvera Street field trip and the parent educator workshop I held on Monday. Jennifer and I enjoy providing these opportunities and having this time with you. Field trip photos are being uploaded. Miss the trip? Here is a scavenger hunt to help guide you, if you go on your own.
Upcoming Field Trip reminders (see the sign ups page to RSVP and access permission slips):
- Thu. 9/20 10-1 Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area – hiking, play and connection
- Tue. 9/25 12:30-2:30 Learning About the Library with the Wiseburn Librarian
- Mon. 10/1 11-1:30 Tomás and the Library Lady
- Thu. 10/4 1-3 International Printing Museum (sorry but only for grades 3-8)
- Tue. 10/9 9:30-noon Natural History Museum – The Art of Science
- Thu. 10/18 1-3 The Autry Museum
- Thu. 10/25 10:30-1:30 The Getty Museum
Parent Educator Workshop Reminders:
- Fri. 9/21 1-2 Engaging Math: Resources and Strategies (info and sign-up)
- Mon. 9/24 6:30-8pm Easy Assessment Strategies (info and sign-up)
- TBA-rescheduling Engaging Mini-Lessons for Writing Instruction
MAPs Assessment: Our MAPs testing period has ended. If your child still has a test to complete, please schedule office hours. Reports are being sent out via email. If you would be interested in attending a group workshop on understanding the assessment and results, please respond to the survey on the right.
Jennifer sent out an email about what we were calling Collaborative Clubs. They are getting renamed but are still happening. Here is the info, again:
- We’ve asked all of you and your kids about interest in clubs for our program. After collecting responses, we’d like to start with 2 clubs for now, with the possibility of adding in different options later in the year. Jennifer and Janette both have lots of ideas based on your feedback of clubs they’d like to get started, but we’ll start with Robotics and Sports. These clubs are Co-facilitated with Teachers, Parents, and Students all pitching in to make it happen.
- For now, we’d like to offer a Robotics Club on Thursdays from 3:30 – 5. This would take place on campus. As mentioned above, it would not be a drop off program, but rather one in which parents stay and even help lead the activities. The 2nd club we’d like to offer for now is a Sports / Group Games Club on Fridays at Del Aire Park. We can do this in the morning or afternoon and can decide if we want it to last 1 hour or 1 ½ hours. Again, parents will stay and help run this club.
- If your student is interested in signing up for one or both of these clubs, please take the survey here. It is very short….only 5 quick questions, but important for us to gather your information. We will have a meeting for all those signing up for clubs on Friday, September 21st 2:00 – 3:00 to discuss the logistics.
Resource of the week: 3 new books available on our shelf…Mindset Mathematics grade 3, grade 4 and grade 5 by Boaler, Munson and Williams. And don’t forget Jo Boaler’s YouCubed.org for amazing math resources.
Thanks for reading! Please email me to let me know that you did. I am gauging the reach of my communications.