We had a blast at our Weds. workshops this week, even with the rain!
- Instead of Inner Explorer this week, we did what the Adventurers have dubbed “Janette Explorer.” On occasion, I lead a novel mindfulness activity with them, like being ice cream melting onto a hot sidewalk. This week, I read a piece about listening to rain as we listened to the actual rain in silence.
- We built snub-nosed gliders in our aeronautics workshop. A few kids had gliders with nice, long glides. One aspect of this workshop you may not be aware of is the requirement to follow directions during part of the build phase. It is important not only to do what is required by the instructions but also to inhibit behavior and WAIT. This can be difficult and everyone is growing in this important skill.
- We’ve started aeronautics journals.
- The Wright Brothers are our next biography dive. We read half of a book of their lives, as seen from the perspective of their sister. We will finish it up next week. Lots to talk about with regard to Habits of Heart and Mind.
- Many of the Adventurers spent their lunch play time in the makerspace. I’m sure you saw some interesting creations come home.
- Odyssey of the Mind continues to be a wonderful opportunity for creative problem-solving involving teamwork, leadership, risk-taking, organizing, creating and much more. In just the few weeks we’ve done this, I’ve seen noticeable growth in these areas. This week entailed a lot of painting, sculpture building, script writing and costume making.
Upcoming Field Trip Reminders
Thu., March 14th 11:30 – 1:00: All Collaborative Columbia Park Social with badminton. And the Adventurers will fly the kites they build in the Aeronautics workshop the day before. You are also welcome to bring your own kite.
Thu., March 21st, 12 – 2:00: Hike George F. Canyon (Third times a charm!)
Thu., March 28th, 11:30 - 2:15: Dogs! A Science Tail at the CA Science Center - exhibit and IMAX - SIGN UP AND PAY BY MARCH 13TH
Thu. April 4th: Friends of the Hawthorne and Wiseburn Libraries Book Sale – We will assist in setting up and preparing the Book Sale. This will be a wonderful way to give back to our community. More details soon.
Fri., April 12th - Renaissance Pleasure Faire School Day – SIGN UP AND PAY BY MARCH 13TH
Tue., April 23rd, 9:30-12:00: Homeschool Day at the Natural History Museum…Los Angeles’ Past
See this blurb from Jennifer about the Voyagers’ efforts to help people who are homeless!
Hygiene Kits for the Homeless Donation Drive - Help us spread the word! We launched our donation drive collecting hygiene kits to give to MEND, who will then give them to homeless men, women, and children. The students set a goal to collect 150 kits by March 19th. Help us reach our goal by donating a kit yourself and asking others to donate - spread the word on social media, and ask family and friends. The Da Vinci Schools organization periodically highlights the great work students are doing in a blog post and our project was featured this week - you can read it here!
New Co-Op Opportunities
Oil Pastels Workshop with Marissa – Sign-Up Here
Marissa (JM’s mom) is offering this workshop on Mon., March 18th, 2:30-4:00 in the Makerspace. Here is the description:
- Create your own 1-3 panel oil pastel piece using pastels, tape, and graphite pencils.
- You will learn the basics of oil pastels including blending using different mediums, layering colors, and how to make color choices.
- Like crayons or colored pencils, oil pastels are a drawing medium. However, they can still be messy so make sure to wear something you don't mind getting them on!
Jennifer is offering 3 weeks of Paddle Tennis instruction on Mondays, March 18, 25, and April 1 - Join her from 12:30 - 2 on 1, 2, or all 3 days. Sign up here.