- Thursday, May 30th 4:30-6:30 - Cultural Fair
- This is a whole school social event. Please see previous posts for participation ideas.
- Here is info from the newsletter:
Join us for our 5th annual Cultural Fair, a fun-filled potluck event where Connect families can wrap up the 2018-2019 school year together! Watch this video to see student organizer, Flora, share about her heritage and why she started this event.
Look here for a guide to homeschool projects you can do related to and in preparation for the event! Please sign up here to bring food, share your heritage, and volunteer to make the event a success. You can submit your own videos about your culture here!
- Tuesday, June 4th 11:30-1:00 - End of Year Potluck and Social at Hermosa Valley Park. Join us as we enjoy each other's company and say our goodbyes.
- Please sign up and bring food to share.
Presentations of Learning (POLs) are next week
Remember to read through the guidelines, as you help your child to prepare for their presentation.
Some highlights from our presentation skills workshop are:
- Enjoy yourself - this is a celebration of your year!
- speak clearly, be loud enough to be heard and speak at a calm pace
- your voice should show you are interested in what you are saying
- your body is relaxed and shows engagement, not distraction
- touch-stones and such are helpful to some people
- it is okay to move around...don't be frozen
- pausing quietly to think is okay
- connect with people through eye contact but it is okay to look past people some of the time, too
- let your personality shine through
- remember: using humor is not the same as being a comedian - it is not a comedy show
- know that the audience is on your team and they want you to have a good experience
- HAVE OBJECTS/VISUALS TO SHARE FOR EACH TOPIC
- this helps you to remember what you want to say and is also more engaging for the audience
- use note cards sparingly and don't read from them
- ditto for words on slides...use the presenter's notes section to list a talking point (don't put it on the slide)...slide should be a visual
- be familiar enough and comfortable enough with each topic to talk about it
- no need to memorize a speech
- you WILL likely forget a detail...it's okay
- answer questions as best you can...it is okay to say "I don't know"
- in the audience
- use whole body listening
- have a relaxed friendly smile
- pay attention and think of a question to ask the presenter at the end
- everyone is expected to ask a question of the other presenters
Renaissance Florence, Italy With a Twist
Reminder: You are invited to join us next Weds. 5/29 at 2:30 for a casual walk-through of what the Adventurers have created. Please tell your child you know about this. Many of them think you don't know (which is why I sent evites, in addition to emails and previous blog posts).
At the end of the day, please help your child to make sure ALL of their things make it home.
Work Journal #5 is due by 4pm on Weds., June 5th in the front office. If you turn it in Monday or Tuesday (see email from the office), be sure to email me to confirm you completed the work listed for that last week. I have to process them and turn them in by Friday afternoon, so please double-check for completeness. Thanks so much!