Quite a few of you have indicated interest in knowing how everyone else is doing their homeschooling...what resources they love and what tips and tricks they have. These meet-up will be a great opportunity to swap ideas, connect with each other and get geared up for the rest of the year. I hope you will come and enjoy an evening of friendship and rejuvenation. Sign-up here.
2/21 Work Journal #3 is due to the front office by 4pm
2/15 is the last day of the work journal period. Work Journal #4 can be found here.
You Are Invited to "Do This!"
Saturday March 10th is the Kite Festival at the Redondo Beach Pier (scroll down the linked page for info). Visiting/participating will be a wonderful lead-in to our workshops on March 13th, when we will build our own kites. Everyone will take their kites home and then hopefully bring them along to our All-Collaborative Social at Columbia Park the next day to test them. Many cultures around the world have rich ties to kites and this can be a great connection/lead-in to a social studies project/unit for you at home.
This week in workshops, we...
- discussed how we want to be seen by others and created pieces for a paper Kindness quilt.
- designed, built and tested hoop gliders. There were so many awesome innovations!
- focused on aspects of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech and made connections with the idea of fairness. Students created storyboards or wrote paragraphs about a situation (in their life or in the world) they believe is unfair and what should change.
- dove into our Odyssey of the Mind LdV Workshop Problem, working on understanding the challenge and forming our teams.
- watched Kindness chain-reaction videos and then Odyssey teams worked together to create their own Kindness chain-reaction skits. They did this with Megan Moore-Mays while I was leading a PEC workshop.
SLCs are coming soon (2/25-3/4)
See last week's post for details. Sign up here.
Upcoming Field Trips to put on your calendar:
- Tuesday, Feb 12th - 9:30 - 12pm - Gems and Minerals Unearthed at Natural History Museum (homeschool day at the museum)
- Thursday, Feb 21st - 12 - 2pm - Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro with optional picnic lunch at the Fanfare Fountains 10:45 - 11:45.
- Thursday, Feb 28th - 11 am - 1pm - Getty Villa docent led tour
- Thursday, March 7th - 12 - 2pm - Hike George F Canyon trail
- Thursday, March 14th - 11:30-1:00 - All-Collaborative Social at Columbia Park in Torrance