- The 15-minute student-led portion is NOT changing.
- The total meeting time will shift to 60 minutes to allow time for:
- Parent/teacher check-in
- Student work on math tasks (aligned either with current goals or just-completed goals)
- Parent and I to evaluate a piece of writing brought in from home to identify learning targets and to model how to work on identifying quality indicators with students
Focus on Empathy: Having empathy (understanding someone else’s perspective) is one of the most important skills we can have (as evidenced by the results of the lack of it we see in recent national discourse). While it comes more naturally to some, it can definitely be nurtured and learned. Here are a few resources that I hope will inspire you as you continue to develop empathy in your family.
- I have not yet vetted all of these apps but I bet you will find one that could work for your child! 10 Apps that Promote Empathy and Compassion.
- Four Proven Strategies for Teaching Empathy…from Edutopia.
- 40 Kindness Activities and Empathy Worksheets (bad formatting but some nice tidbits)
- Three Videos on the Importance of Empathy…from Edutopia
Have you signed up to attend the CGI Math workshop with Nick Johnson next Weds. evening? See the newsletter for more info. Here are the links:
Families can also order food from FAN: here
Our next Parent Educator Conference will be on Weds. 2/6. We are finalizing the topics and I think you will find many that interest you (I know that I’m excited about what plan to offer). I hope you will spend the day with us (or at least part of it). More information will be sent out via the newsletter. Our WoW schedule will be uninterrupted.
Upcoming Field Trips to put on your calendar:
- Thursday, Jan 31st - 11:30 - 1:00 - All Collaborative Picnic and Social at Columbia Park
- Thursday, Feb 7th - 10am - 12 pm - Revisiting Madrona Marsh docent led tour
- Tuesday, Feb 12th - 9:30 - 12pm - Gems and Minerals Unearthed at Natural History Museum (homeschool day at the museum)
- Thursday, Feb 21st - 12 - 2pm - Marine Mammal Care Center in San Pedro with optional picnic lunch at the Fanfare Fountains 10:45 - 11:45.
- Thursday, Feb 28th - 11 am - 1pm - Getty Villa docent led tour
- Thursday, March 7th - 12 - 2pm - Hike George F Canyon trail