It's a about a 3 hour drive. I recommend families arriving Friday and camping overnight at Valley Wells Recreation Area, first come first serve... there should be plenty of room.
There are 3 different field families can participate in, and each one is a unique experience and costs $15 per car. they take place at 3 different times….Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. Here are the activities families can participate in.
Trip Dates: October 13, 14 and 15, 2017
- Mud Trip- Saturday Only - Departs ONLY at 9AM- Cluster & barrel hanksite, trona, borax - $15 per CAR
- Blow Hole - Saturday Only - Departs ONLY at 2:30PM- Hanksite, halite, borax, sulfohalite - dry surface- $15 per CAR
- Pink Halite - Sunday Only - Departs ONLY at 9AM- In brine, beneath hard salt - $20 per CAR
- Pinnacles National Natural Landmark - Self guided, information at show - FREE
- Searles Valley Minerals' Plants - Saturday only: 10:40,11:25, 12:10, 12:55 and 1:40 - in bus - FREE
What to expect: https://www.sandytoesandpopsicles.com/travel/trona-gem-o-rama/
Filed trip Flyer: http://www1.iwvisp.com/tronagemclub/FLYER.htm
Searles Lake contains half the natural elements known to man. There is some great history to be learned and how non-metallic minerals played an important role in California mining and industry growth. Also, it brings up discussion about environmental issues and sustainability.
I am happy to be the point person for this field trip (contact Janette for info) if you are interested in having your students attend.