I hope everyone had a great first week. I am looking forward to our workshops starting. I’ve missed the kids and am ready for some learning fun!
Before I get started on workshop logistics, I want to make sure everyone has the DVIA Film Festival on your calendar. The film festival tradition got started last year and meets many needs…it is a fun, social activity for kids and parents; it supports you in the integration of video/film-making into your homeschooling and academics; and provides opportunities for creative engagement. If there is interest, we can build out some related Adventurer family workshops/events. It is spearheaded by our own Jennifer Racusin (Arthur’s mom) and Collaborative families have a history of participation. I hope to see you there! Here is the lowdown:
- It’s time to put the DVIA Film Festival on your radar! Join us in the Forum immediately following Enrichment on Wednesday, January 24th from 3:00-6pm for an afternoon of free, family friendly cinema. We’ll be getting snuggled up on the Forum floor so bring a blanket, a pillow, beach chairs, yoga mats, or anything to make yourself comfortable. Two short films, Pixar’s Piper and Hedgehog in the Fog by Yuriy Norshteyn, will start at 3:30 followed by the feature presentation My Neighbor Totoro. For more information about the feature click here or here. Lights snacks and beverages will be provided. To RSVP, click here.
All About Workshop Logistics
- Please remember dress code and water bottle.
- Monday workshops
- Mirrors and Windows: 12:50-2:00
- Imagination Unlimited!: 2:00-3:15
- We will not have a snack break, but kids can always step out to have a bite to eat.
- I will meet students outside the chalkboard door at 12:50 and walk them in. If you arrive after we go in, please bring your child in through the front office.
- If your child leaves at 2:00, you may come in to get them or meet them in the front office.
- If your child arrives at 2:00, please bring them in through the front office.
- At 3:15, students will leave through the gate by the Forum. You can walk in to pick them up or use the curbside drive-thru service.
- Friday workshops
- Flowering Plants and Animal Habitats: 9:15-10:40
- Crazy 8’s Math Club: 10:55-11:55
- We will have a short snack break between classes.
- Students will enter through the chalkboard door (I am not meeting them out front) between 9:05 and 9:15.
- If your child leaves at 10:40, you may come in to get them or meet them in the office.
- If your child arrives at 10:55, please bring them in through the front office.
- Kids are welcome to stay for lunch and outdoor play until 12:50. I will bring them out the chalkboard door at 12:50 to make pick-up easy.
- If you would like to pick your child up at 11:55(ish), please let me know. I will send them to the office to meet you.
Friday will be Pizza/Spirit Day! It will be Pajama Day. Kids are invited to come to school in their pajamas. They can wear slippers in the classroom but need closed toe shoes for outside. FAN organizes the pizza lunch fundraiser. For any pizza questions, contact FAN.
Adventurer Parent Meet-Up: Weds., January 31st 6:30-8:00pm. I will share some useful math info and strategies based on CGI (Cognitively Guided Instruction) theory for about the first 45 minutes. The last 45 minutes will be dedicated to you sharing ideas, resources, materials organization tips, etc. with everyone. They do not need to be math-related. Let’s enjoy each other’s company and learn from each other. I’ll have munchies and drinks, but you are welcome to bring something. This is an adult event but you are welcome to bring your kids, if you need to do so.
Upcoming Events: Please see the most recent DVIA newsletter for information about two really terrific FAN events: the Talent Showcase on 2/24 and Casino Night on 3/12. If you have never been to a DVIA Talent Showcase, you are in for a real treat. It is not your standard talent show. All types of talent are welcome and celebrated.