Ethel and I have started to settle in to our home base in the Da Vinci Forum (located on-campus) which is where you will usually find us, until our new classroom arrives. We’ve been told that it may arrive earlier than expected, so as soon as we know when we will be ready for help in setting up the room and outdoor space, we will let you know.
As you know, we had planned to have our Opening Social and Overnight Camp Out at Wilderness Park on Friday, August 19th. Unfortunately, not many families are available for the overnight, which makes the cost of the facility rental prohibitive. We hope to be able to try this again, later in the year. Instead, we will meet up at Valley Park in Hermosa Beach on the 19th, 4:30-7:00pm. We will find an open area to congregate in. If your family is interested in leading us in some whole-group fun (songs, skits, games…), let me know! Please prepare/bring:
- A quick 30-60 second family introduction. This can be a basic introduction, a skit, a song, a joke, etc. Please include the entire family. Think fun, not stressful…no performance pressure!
- Blankets/chairs to sit on
- A main dish for your family and a side dish or dessert to share with everyone
- Frisbees, balls, park toys, etc.
- Sign up for the Remind app (optional - see next paragraph) to get a text from me, letting you know where to find us
This year, in addition to sending email and posting information on our digital portfolio, I will be using the Remind app to send messages when texts are more appropriate (for example, to let you know about changes in plans, where to find me at the park or on a field trip…not lengthy info). You can go to this link to download the app on your smartphone or text “@k4ec9” to 81010. This app will make it easy for me to send a single text that will reach everyone.
Curriculum resource pick-up is scheduled for 9:00-9:30 and 2:45-3:30 on Monday and Tuesday. For your convenience, Ethel and I would be happy to get your items to you at the end of our meetings that are scheduled this week. We want to save you from having to make a special trip. For those of you who might not know, in addition to teaching in the Homeschool Collaborative program, Ethel and I also manage Curriculum Resource requests and distributions, as well as organizing our Parent Educator Conferences and Workshops.
We are excited to see you at our Orientation and Small Group Meetings this week. Here are some things to know…
- The meetings will be held in the Da Vinci Forum
- If you want to sign up, go to Orientation or Small Group Meetings
- Please enter and exit through the DVIA front office, where you will sign-in and sign-out. If you are more than 5 minutes early, please wait out front or in the front office (we are not set up to accommodate a waiting area, yet).
- Follow the posted signs to the meeting location (you will not need to enter the high school side of campus)
- If you are bringing your child(ren) with you
- DVIA students should adhere to the dress code
- Bring water bottles (we have Sparklett’s dispensers and avoid using disposable cups)
- Bring a quiet activity to keep them engaged. We are next to other classrooms which need our group to moderate our volume. There are also robotics materials in the Forum which are not available for exploration. Our materials are not yet unpacked and we don’t have things out and available.
Questions or suggestions? Let me know!