- Collaborative Exhibition: Weds., Dec. 12th 5:00-6:30pm
- Location: DV Connect Forum and Collaborative Home Base
- We all attend for the full 1.5hr
- Students will bring in their projects to set up on the morning of Exhibition (at drop-off time), which is a regular workshop day for students. Parents are welcome (and encouraged) to come in to help us with set-up.
- If you think you will need something other than a table space, approximately 2.5ft x 4ft, please let me know.
- Let me know if you have any technology needs, electrical outlets, etc.
- We all dress to be taken seriously at Exhibition. See the guidelines on the Resources page, the newsletter or the handbook. Please don’t break the bank on this. I encourage hand-me-downs, loans and thrift store solutions. Guests are encouraged to dress to match the occasion.
- Students will be given a 30-minute presentation slot (at 5:00, 5:30 or 6:00). For the remaining 60 minutes, Adventurers will visit the projects of other students. Please do not have your child share early. Extra presentation time is possible. If your child wants extra time, please have them check in with me on the night of Exhibition.
- Some of our class work will be on display. Students are welcome to talk about this work with guests, if they want to. It is not required.
- Project displays are taken down by students and families at 6:30. Please do not do this early! It detracts from the quality of experience for the third group of students.
- IMPORTANT REQUEST: I know it can be tempting to hang out at your child’s display with them. Here are 2 reasons you don’t want to do this (after, of course, you have been their first guest):
- Letting your child present without you helps them to develop confidence and autonomy. Staying with them can send an unintended message that you don’t think they can do it without you.
- If everyone stays with their child, no one will have an audience.
- Hybrid Classes will have Exhibition on Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 10th and 11th, 5:00-6:30. You are welcome to check it out and see their project work.
Report Card Comments: DV Connect sends out comment-based report cards in December/January and June each year. The student, their home educator(s) and I all provide comments. This is a great opportunity to memorialize their growth and achievement. See the Report Card Comments Guidelines in the Miscellaneous section of the Resources page for more info. Please let me know if you have any questions. Comments are due to me by Friday, Dec. 14th.
PEC 2: As you’ve read in the newsletter, next Weds., Dec. 5th is our 2nd Parent Educator Conference. This is a gift from our staff to our home educators. We value what you do and want to offer you support with this day of workshops tailored for our families. You will find workshops that focus on academic content and workshops that focus on other aspects of development and parenting. I hope you will join us for all or part of the day. Special bonus: If you attend the talk I am hosting at 2:00 (Creative Conversations), you will have a chance of winning a door prize…a copy of the book How to Have Intelligent and Creative Conversations With Your Kids by Jane Healy, Ph.D.
- Note: While I step out of our WoW session for the PEC workshop, another DVCo teacher will be with our group, following through with our plan for the day.
Field Trips: Please join us!
- Dec. 6th (2:00 - 3:30) Hour of Code “Staycation” . Instead of going out on a field trip that day, we’ll have a staycation experience - students will come to our home base for “Hour of Code” activities. You are welcome to invite non-DV Connect families that may be interested in learning more about our program.
- Dec. 13th (11:30 – 1:00) Hermosa Valley Park Social
- Dec. 20th (12:00 – 3:00) Tidepools Walk at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
Work Journal Reminder: Work Journal #2 ends on Friday, Dec. 14th. Work Journals (with samples) are due to the front office no later than 4:00 on Weds., Dec. 19th. I will then have just 2 days to process them and provide feedback, so please be sure to get them in on-time.