Reminder that our WoW workshop for the last 5 weeks (May 29th is the last day of WoW) will focus on recreating Renaissance Florence, Italy with a modern twist. This is an all-day workshop. Please plan to attend a culminating performance on Weds., May 29th at 2:30pm. More info about this to come.
- If you have access to any LARGE (think appliance-sized) pieces of cardboard, please bring them on Weds.
- Have PVC pipe and connectors we can borrow for creating the set? Please let me know.
- We will need child-sized pieces of fabric for creating renaissance fashions. If you have any we can have, please send it on Weds.
2 Great Opportunities for Parent Support This Week!
- Join me in the Parent Center on Monday, April 29th, 2:00-3:15 where I will be leading a workshop based on the work of Dr. Dawn Huebner. She is a clinical psychologist who specialized in the treatment of children who worry too much and their parents. We will watch a Happily Family interview with Dr. Huebner and follow up with discussion and activities.
- PEC 5 is happening on Wednesday, May 1st. There will be 2 guest speakers - Dr. Virginia Green will lead a session called “Brene Brown’s Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto Comes Alive” from 9 - 11AM, and then Kate Vokoun will lead a 2-part workshop: “Talk Temperament and Map Out Multiple Intelligences” from 11:15 - 12:15 and “Making Sense of Mindset” from 12:15 - 1:15. All sessions will be in the forum. I hope you are able to attend (and bring a friend!).
State Testing Reminder: Our 3rd and 4th grade Adventurers will participate in state testing, beginning this week. Check your signupgenius account for a reminder of your appointment dates. Solid sleep, nutritious eating (remember the protein!) and hydration DO make a difference.
Optional Spring MAP Assessment appointments are available (May 20-24). This is an opportunity to get a skills-focused view of your child's growth over the course of the year. Students in 3rd and 4th grades will have just finished state testing, so each family will need to decide if Spring MAPs is the right choice for their child.
Presentations of Learning (POLs) are coming up (May 28-31)!
- Sign up for a presentation slot here.
- Sign up for the optional student (only) presentation workshop here.
- Sign up for the optional parent POL info session here.
Field Trips and Socials
- Thursday, May 2nd - 1 - 2:45PM Picnic followed by exploration of the Manhattan Beach Roundhouse Aquarium.
- Thursday, May 9th - Movie Social - We plan to see Ugly Dolls. We will announce the time and location when theater schedules are available. Note: this will be a "social" opportunity, not an official field trip.
- Thursday, May 16th - 1 - 2:30 PM ESMOA - EAT! Exhibit
- Tuesday, May 21st - South Coast Botanical Gardens 10 - 11:30AM. Come explore beautiful gardens with us!
- Thursday, May 30th - In lieu of a weekly field trip, we will join the DV Connect all-school Cultural Fair. Details TBA.
- Tuesday, June 4th - All-Collaborative Year-End Celebration at Hermosa Valley Park, 11:30 AM - 1PM. Sign up coming soon.
Meet the Grunion at Cabrillo Marine Aquarium...Jennifer Johnson says:
- "Last year I went to this event and had so much fun and learned all about these fish and their seasonal “runs on the beach”. The Cabrillo Aquarium will open at 8PM and they will show a movie in their auditorium at 9PM. The movie teaches you all about grunion and how they lay their eggs in the sand during this season. After the movie, a docent will take you down to the beach to witness this peculiar mating ritual. Tickets for the aquarium event are $5 for adults, $1 for students and can be purchased online ahead of time or at the door. Here is a flyer about the event. This is not a DV Connect field trip, but I wanted to tell you about it in case you want to go on your own. I highly recommend it at least once in your life (bucket list event)! "
- Note: This is NOT a DV Connect-sponsored event. But you never know who you might see there.