This week we rebuilt some prior designs in Aerodynamics (look for them at Exhibition), wrote Cinquains about a classmate (many were read at the Poetry Jam) and worked feverishly on their Odyssey team projects.
Odyssey of the Mind
Our Adventurer and Voyager groups will present their final productions on Weds., April 24th at 2pm, in the Forum. Come prepared for a fun afternoon of creative problem-solving edutainment, written, created, produced and performed entirely by students.
PEC 4: Weds., April 3rd, all day
This Parent Educator Conference has a focus on social-emotional development, with many experts joining us. I hope you will find time to check out at least one workshop. See the Connect newsletter for the workshop schedule.
Exhibition: Weds., April 10th, 5:00-6:30pm
Please be sure to detailed email I sent to you. Here is a reminder of what I need you to send to me:
To assist us with planning the set-up of the Forum, please send your teacher an email with the following information by Weds., April 3rd:
- Exhibit Title
- Does your child need floor space, wall space or more than 4 linear feet of table space?
- Does she/he need access to electrical outlets or technology?
- Does she/he plan to offer food?
- This requires pre-approval from the teacher and must be an integral part of the student’s project work.
Work Journal #4 Ends and Is Due on Friday, April 5th
Reminder: For a complex set of reasons connected with how school funding happens, Work Journal 4 ends on April 5th and staff has a very fast turnaround to get attendance reporting submitted to the state. To make this possible, we need to have you turn in your work journal on April 5th. We know that this could create a hardship for many of you, so for this instance ONLY, we can do the following:
- You are permitted to turn in your work journal ahead of the end of the work journal period, when you are here for workshops on April 3rd (or on the 4th). We ask that you indicate the work you plan to do on April 4th and 5th in the daily log.
- If you choose to turn in your work journal before 4/5… On Friday, we need you to email ME and confirm that you did the work indicated in the work journal. I will send you an email Friday morning, with a link to a Google Form you can use, to make it easy (you then won’t need to send me a separate email).
Woohoo! We have all of our field trips planned for the rest of the year. I hope you will join us for all the fun.
Thursday, April 4th 12:30 - 2 PM Volunteering Opportunity at the Hawthorne Library to help prepare for their “Friends of the Library” book sale. This is a great opportunity to serve our community, just like we’ve been learning about in our morning workshops.
Friday, April 12th -9:30 AM - 12 PM Renaissance Pleasure Faire School Day (Sign ups have closed for this field trip)
Tuesday, April 23rd - 9:30 AM - 12 PM Natural History Museum Homeschool Day - Los Angeles’ Past Exhibit
Thursday, May 2nd - 1 - 2:45PM Picnic followed by exploration of the Manhattan Beach Roundhouse Aquarium. Sign up coming soon.
Thursday, May 9th – Movie Time! Time and Location TBD...Planning to see a movie together. Sign up and details coming soon.
Thursday, May 16th - 1 - 2:30 PM ESMOA - EAT! Exhibit
Please sign up to let me know if you are planning to attend any of these field trips. Then, go on my website and print the permission slip so you can have it completed and ready to hand in at the field trip.
Tuesday, May 21st - South Coast Botanical Gardens 10 - 11:30AM. Sign up coming soon.
Thursday, May 30th - In lieu of a weekly field trip, we will join the DV Connect all-school Cultural Fair. Details TBA.
Tuesday, June 4th - All-Collaborative Year-End Celebration at Hermosa Valley Park, 11:30 AM - 1PM. Sign up coming soon.