For the next two weeks, I will play each track on two successive days, so that everyone has time to get up to speed and can access the foundational tracks. If you are participating daily, repeating a track is not a problem.
- Today and tomorrow – track 1
- 11/7 and 11/8 – track 2
- 11/9 and 11/10 – track 3
- 11/14 and 11/15 – track 4
- 11/16 and 11/17 – track 5
Here are the IE Recommended Best Practices (clearly designed for a classroom but still helpful):
· Pick a time of day that is a normal transition to run the program - try to stick with it.
· Adjust the volume on the speakers each day; some tracks are louder than others.
· Ask students to all face the same direction so no one is “looking” at anyone else.
· Ask the students to put their journal on desk before you start so they are ready.
· Turn out the lights if possible to inspire a sense of calm.
· Participate with your students (even close your eyes). They’ll take it seriously if you do!
· Expect some students to be squirrelly; this is different from what they normally do.
· Expect after a few weeks for some students to say, "This is stupid” or “What’s the point, I don’t think it’s working”. As they go inward, it can be uncomfortable to face aspects of their lives that may be easier to avoid through distraction. Any discomfort will subside and they will be healthier and happier as a result.
· Expect some students to have strong reactions, maybe related to past trauma. Handle them as you normally would, through the school social worker and/or counselors/psychologists.
· Building a habit takes time. Gently guide the students to remain quiet through the practices. Even if they seem disengaged, they will hear the instruction and will move through this phase.
· Enjoy a deepening sense of community and calm in your classroom!